balance springs

Quick Learner from Clearwater, FL
Nov 15, 2023 4:00 pm
I'm trying to locate the correct balancers for my Simonton double hung window but there are no numbers anywhere that I can see to tell what the weight would be. The only label I can find at the top of the window doesn't seem to have a model number, just the dimensions of the window.
20231114_145211 20231114_145509
2 user uploaded images
9 Replies
Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO
Nov 16, 2023 10:31 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello, thank you for posting,

To further review, we will need to see the pivot shoe in the window channel that the coil springs attach to. The window sash will need to be removed to access this view. Thank you! 

Dec 19, 2023 9:51 am
Here is a photo of the shoe.
20231213_200159
1 user uploaded images
Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO
Dec 19, 2023 10:26 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for the additional photo! We don't sell the exact shoe shown here but the good news is that you can use the 15-259. The Series 159 are the compatible coil springs. I recommend watching the video below. It'll go over everything in more detail. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Jan 16, 2024 11:15 am
How do I determine what weight springs to buy?
Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO
Jan 16, 2024 12:41 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello,

I can assist with the weighted springs. To move forward, please provide the weight of the window sash. The sash will need to be removed and placed on a scale. Thank you! 

Feb 6, 2024 3:30 pm
Ok, so I weighed one of the windows. It's 21.5 lbs.
Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO
Feb 7, 2024 9:08 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

For a 21.5 pound window sash, you can use (2) S159-5 coil springs on each side of the window using the 15-256 double support. This will give you 22 pounds of total support. Let me know if you have any additional questions! 

Mar 22, 2024 10:32 am
Just wanted to follow up on this repair. The first balancer was a bit tricky but once I figured out the best way to get the old one out and the new one in, the rest were pretty simple. I did have to cut the opening out a bit with a utility knife to get the new balancers in place. Windows slide up and down like brand new now! Thank you for all the help Lauren!
Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO
Mar 22, 2024 11:01 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

No problem! I am happy to hear that we could help out with your repair and that your windows are in working order again. Please let us know if you have any future hardware questions! 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts