double coil balance

A home owner from Howell, MI says:
I need some help. I have single hung windows with a double coil balance. Half of the balances on my windows are broken.

Basically the plastic cover over the coil breaks, then the entire unit no longer works. However, I noticed that the coil is located above the window unit when it is closed and not hidden in the track. When the window is closed, you see the covered coil.

I have no idea what kind of double coil I need. And I'm wondering that when I replace the coils, I should locate then where the vinyl cutouts are located where the coils should be placed. I think that the reason the plastic cover is breaking is because the window is constantly hitting the slide when it is opened or closed.

Please advise on what I can use for a replacement. Unfortunately there are no markings on the hardware and I cannot even locate the manufacturers name anywhere on the glass or frame.
User submitted photos of a coil window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I see the coil springs and their cover, but can I see a picture of the pivot shoe, as well? I will also need to see how the spring attaches to it, so it may be best to remove it from the window before you take your pictures. Finally. please also show us a picture of the pivot bar on the sash.
Here are some more pics as requested. Sorry it took so long. I still cannot find a manufacturer's name on the windows anywhere. It was a production home... Again, want to know what I should use for a replacement part and if I should install the coil to be located in the track below the top stationary window where the track cutouts are now. Then they will be hidden when the windows are closed. Please advise.
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Your pivot shoe looks like our 15-199. Do you agree? If so, I also recommend our Series 160 coil spring. The double coil spring housing resembles our 15-150D, which it looks like you also need.

In regards of placing the balance coils in a lower position, many window manufacturers just do that. Why this company didn't, I don't know. I would try one set first in a lower position and see how it works for you.
The pivot shoe that I have is all plastic and after I removed the window, I could NOT get the window back into the pivot shoe.

So I would need to purchase all the pieces separately and put them all together to complete the set? I'm guessing it is fairly easy to do that?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, it's not difficult at all. See the video below to have an idea on how this kind of hardware is installed.
I love this video. I already watched it and that is how I found your website. So you basically have to put all the 3 pieces together...attach the coils to the pivot shoe and then put the coils into the house and voila - it should work. One last question since I will probably be replacing ALL the balance coils on every window. What determines whether you need one or two coils? The window size and/or weight? Most windows in my house are 48 inches wide, 30 inches high (the moving part of the window) or smaller. All of them have a double coil. Does this size window really need a double coil?
Profile picture of Paul
You should replace the balance in the exact same configuration that the window manufacturer set it up in. If you're lucky, you will be able to read the weight numbers on the old coil. If not, give us the size of the visible glass and, if possible, the weight of the sash as well.
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.