part in the sliding slot of a casement window

A home owner from Vermont says:

Please identify this part and let me know if you sell a replacement for it. The part is screwed into the sliding slot of a casement window about midway up the height of the window frame and there is one on each side. One of the parts failed so I removed it. It does not seems to change the function of the window.

is a picture of the intact and installed part.

is a picture of the failed part.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1052.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1054.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It looks like you're showing us pictures of a coil balance window for a hung window. This isn't a casement window, though. Can you confirm that these are the right pictures? If not, could you try uploading them again for us? 

Thanks for the response!

My mistake, this is not a casement window it is a hung window. And your coil balance video confirms that the part is a coil balance.

So my questions should have been: How do I identify the correct replacement part and do you sell it?

If it helps, the new picture shows some window identification information.
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, okay. That's good news, it'll make things a lot easier. We can definitely replace this hardware. When it comes to coil balances, the best way to identify what you have is to go by the pivot shoe. This is the rectangular or square-ish block of plastic to which the spring attaches. It will have a round center cam, as well. You can see our entire selection here for reference.

Basically, the pivot shoe acts as a "key" for everything else, in terms of identification. If I can see a picture of it, I can tell you everything you need to repair the balance.

Here are three pictures of the pivot shoe. Are those adequate?
Profile picture of Tom

They sure are! This looks like our 15-191 pivot shoe, which is commonly used with our 1/2" thick Series 160 coil spring. Looking at your first set of photos, the style of your old springs does appear similar to our Series 160. Look it over and let me know what you think!

Keep in mind you only need to replace what's broken. If the springs are the only damaged part of the balance, you can re-use the rest. Assuming you need everything though, take a look at our 15-150D or 15-150T cover (depending on how many springs you use per side, I can't tell) and 15-148 bumper.

You'll need the stamp printed on the old springs to confirm what Series 160 option to order. If you can't read the stamp, let me know the exact weight of the sash and how many springs are used on each side and we can work from there.

The 15-191 pivot shoe looks correct.

The 15-150D and 15-150T covers do not look correct per the second picture below. Do you have another cover that looks closer to the one in the picture?

Regarding the springs: does the following give you enough information to recommend replacements? The picture shows the three separate scrolled springs from the coil balance that I want to replace, specifically:
1. spring on left has no stamp
2. spring in middle has a "3" stamp
3. spring on right has a "5" stamp

The sash weight is within 0.25 pounds of 17.25 pounds. I want to replace only the right hand coil balance since the one on the left works fine. I do not know how to determine how many springs were used on the right side. I assume that all three springs were used but that is only a guess.

Finally, do you have a kit that includes all or most of the parts above? I would not mind spending extra to get a matched and assembled set.
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid we don't have a cover exactly like yours. As long as you have the 15-191 pivot shoe and a 1/2" thick Series 160 spring, then the ones I recommended should work fine.

I'm a little confused about the stamps you need. Are these three springs all used on one side of the sash? Please confirm and we can work from there. If these are just the three on one side of the window, I'd like you to confirm the weight of your sash. If it's only 17.25 pounds, then your springs would be too strong. Having a 5.5 pound spring and a 3.5 pound spring on each side of the window would exceed your given sash weight (9 pounds on each side, totaling 18 pounds of total support). That's not even counting the mystery spring with no stamp, which would push it even higher.

I'm afraid we are not able to sell these parts in one complete kit. 

I went with a 3.5 pound and a 4.5 pound spring and will see how it comes out.

Thank you for all of your help!
Profile picture of Tom

You're welcome. Let me know if you encounter any problems.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.