pivot bar for S140-9

A handy person from masscahusetts says:
I'm fixing up some windows in a new home, several of the pivot mechanisms are old/broken so i am trying my best to troubleshoot and replace.

I recently bought a set of the S140-9 (L and R) as replacements for an Alside window (I believe the now discontinued excalibur version 0201). I was able to replace the tilt locks and the part fits in the track along the side of the window just fine. I am having difficulty with the metal piece on the bottom of the sash which slides in to the pivot lock mechanism (other resources have referred to this as a "foot"). The existing one is too big to fit into the mechanism so it sits on top of the lock instead and so the balance never engages. Can you recommend a pivot bar which would go along with the S140?

i note the following measurements:

The pivot bar has mounting holes 1" apart.

the entire part is 3 1/8" long.

The distance between the hole closest to the edge of the sash and the edge of the foot which engages the mechanism is about 1 3/8"

You don't have a part with these exact dimensions, do you think the 26-405 is the right bar. It has very similar measurements, particularly the 1" spacing between the holes and the distance between the end of the piece.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20200930_190537899.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20200930_190552138.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Your pivot bar is the 26-226, which is not designed to be used with the Series 140. The front tip is not compatible with the cam in the Series 140 shoe. Are you sure the Series 140 is the right replacement?

The Series 140 is designed to work with the 26-405 that you mentioned, but I don't know if the 26-405 will replace your old 26-226. I can at least tell you that they're not designed to be interchangeable. 

I think you may have picked the wrong balance, but I'd have to see what you had originally to confirm.

A handy person from masscahusetts says:
These are some photos of the balance that I took out. The 140 did fit into the window frame, but maybe there is a better fit.

The sash weighs about 18 pounds. Do you have any suggestions?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20201005_212226965.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20201005_212441239.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20201005_212528909.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks, this makes a lot more sense. Your original balance assembly was comprised of our 15-177 pivot shoe and Series 152 spring. You can either purchase these and continue to use your old pivot bar, or you can give the 26-405 a shot with the hardware you already purchased. It's ultimately up to you.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.