s900 spiral pivot question

A home owner says:
I plan on replacing my spiral sashes (for my 20 year old tilt windows that were used by the builder) with the 28" Series 900 red tip sash, and am wondering: Do I have to replace the pivots as well? They aren't broken, so I just want to make sure that they will work with what I get. I took a couple of pictures, but there is no place to slide them out of the channel so I couldn't get measurements.

Also, if I have to replace them to work with the sashes I'm buying, how do I get them out if there is no notch? Thank you in advance for you help.
User submitted photo of pivot lock shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

It is hard to tell which pivot shoe you have without dimensions, but from looking at the photo I believe you have the 15-046.

Your pivot shoe does look fine. I know from the repair work I have done in the past that it is not unusual to only replace just the bad balance and reuse the old pivot shoes (as long as they were in good shape). Also before replacing your balances, check to see if your balances just need to be charged up with the 75-006 charging tool.

A quick learner says:
Thank you so much for the information. The pivots do seem to be in good shape, not broken and the metal plate is still attached.

Some may only need to be charged, but since some are starting to snap and others look rusty on the spiral (and they're 20 years old) I think I'll just replace them all. It's cheaper than buying new windows. I'll definitely add the charging tool though when I buy the new pivots.

Thanks again for the information and great site. I'll definitely let my neighbors know about it when they need help with theirs.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You're welcome! Thanks for posting.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.