what am I doing wrong?

A home owner from virginia says:

Hi there

Do you happen to know why my arms slides out of the guide sometimes, making me have to hand put it back in before I close the window? It happens on several windows and that makes me think the little disk at the end of the arm is maybe worn out. I'd like to find the best way to do maintenance on these windows so I am not forced on a winter day to take off the screen to seal the window. Thanks so much. You guys are great. 

Also, I included the window lock because I want to replace mine. For the ten upstairs windows I have seven or so broken handles no doubt because of big teenagers pushing to lock the window when they don't have it lined up. I am going to replace all of them so I don't have to worry about matching. Any part number preferences would be appreciated. They are the 2 and 5/8 or whatever center to center size that seems standard.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CB831EC0-6842-4740-8B24-700CAD0CC9B1_1_102_o.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3A735FB5-1667-42F8-9DC4-92CF879D5C49_1_102_o.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out to us. The culprit is most likely either a worn-out roller at the end of the operator or a crooked sash. Your first step should be to examine the condition of the roller to be sure it doesn't have any obvious damage that would cause it to slip out. The next step is to examine the top and bottom hinges to see if they're broken. If they are, it could cause the sash to operate at a crooked angle which could cause the wheel to come out of the track. For the operator, see if the specifications of our 39-027E or 39-013 match up to your old assembly. If the hinges need to be replaced, take a look at our 36-048. Just be sure to replace the top and bottom hinges at the same time. 

Our 38-036 casement lock looks similar to yours but I recommend comparing our dimensions with yours to see how they align with your old part. 

A home owner from virginia says:
thanks! I ordered replacement locks and will work on window balances next to see if arms need to be replaced. This is all very helpful though I don't have much time to work it!
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

No problem. Let me know if you need anything else and best of luck with the repair! 

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.