window coil balance

A contractor from South Carolina says:
Need to replace this double coil balance. They have letter code rather than number. Cover says G & H but coils themselves are H & HL. I cannot find an alpha to numeric conversion table anywhere. ?? G = 7 and H = 8 ?? Assume the "L" in HL means long tail as it was the upper coil. I will need the entire assembly as cover (2 screw hold down) is destroyed and shoe's pivot pin is broken. Coils appear OK and shoe itself other than pivot is OK. Can you provide some direction please. I have looked everywhere for these but cannot find exact copy. Measurements are: Coils - 0.37, shoe - 1.5H, 1.25W, .54D. Cover is 1.25W. Tension pad comes out back of shoe.

Thanks Paul
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7891.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7890.JPG
Is S140-15 a suitable replacement? Only one screw holdout though.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Paul. This pivot shoe looks closer to our 15-177. This shoe is compatible with our Series 152 Coil Springs. For the housing with the Series 152, we recommended individual housing for each spring: see our 15-143 bushing, the 15-144 bushing cap, and the 15-145 support barrel. 

As far as the spring weights you need, based on experience I think you're correct that the stamped letters might be converted to numbers, and that therefore you need an S152-7 (7 lbs of support) and S152-8 (8 lbs of support). To be safe, I'd weigh your window sash. If that exact weight is 30 lbs, dividing that weight in half would give you 15. That would mean you'd need 15 lbs of support on each side of the sash, which would confirm you need the S152-7 and S152-8 on each side of the sash. 

what about the long leg on the top balance coil? Do you have long leg balance coils?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7913.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We do have a coil balance with an explicitly longer leg, but it's not compatible with the 15-177 shoe. Our Series 152 should work for both the top and bottom coil spring. You just screw it to the shoe and pull it up.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.