window coil balances

A home owner from MI says:

Hi,

My house has been using windows from Norandex (www.norandex.com) since 1994. Recently couple balances are not working. I hope can buy some to replace by DIY. Norandex suggests to contact you for professional help. Could you please help me to pick up right ones as in attached photo? Are they Series 140 Quick Tilt Balance? Do not know which LB is right. Or someone else? Appreciate for help!

Bests

Kun

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window balance.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Kun. I don't know if this is a Series 140, but I have my doubts. In order to confirm, can you show me a picture of the pivot shoe to which the coils connect? That will allow me to pretty much identify everything else you need.

Hi Tom,

Greatly appreciate for professional help!

Photos attached. And actually I have 3 windows got problems. 2 are in one room ( dimension for each: 87cm W X 73.5cm H), another single one is next room ( dimension: 115cm W X 74cm H).

Thank you again!

Kun
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5.jpg
Hi Tom,

I accidentally clicked "unsubscribe and stop receiving these emails" just now. Sorry! Please keep me on! Appreciate!

Kun
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! That looks like our 15-111 pivot shoe, which is designed to be used with the Series 160 spring. Assuming everything is in good condition then all you'd need is new Series 160's.

Hi Tom,

Appreciate!
There are different LB options. Which one should I pick up? And with any sash carrier, cover beside spring like in first photo I send to you? Or like those here: https://www.swisco.com/cl/Series-140-Quick-Tilt-Balance?
Still two springs for each side, right?
Thank you so much again, Tom!
Have a good weekend.

Kun
Profile picture of Tom

I'm not sure what weight option you need. You would need to match up the stamp printed on the old spring to confirm. It should be right on the flat face of the spring, by the screw hole. While you have your spring out, I also highly recommend measuring its thickness. The Series 160 is 1/2" thick. If yours isn't, let me know and we can try to find a better match.

Otherwise, the Series 160 is designed to work with a cover like the 15-150D. This is made for two springs, which it looks like you have, but you should take yours out of the window to confirm first. You'll have to take it out anyway to get the stamp.

A quick learner from Ann Arbor, Michigan says:
Hi Tom,

Really appreciate for professional help!
I will check those, hope can find info.
Bests

Kun
A quick learner from Ann Arbor, MIchigan says:
Hi Tom,
I think I found info from spring by your instructions. Really appreciate!
The coil measures 1/2" wide, with a maximum travel of 35", 4.5 LB.
Just wondering is the 35" long enough? Current one is near window top, travel ~57" to bottom as in attached photo.
If I buy ones great than 4.5 LB, should be OK, right?
These probably are my last questions.
Thank you again, Tom! You are very helpful!

Kun
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window balance.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window spring.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

The coil balance manufacturers all changed over to 35" length springs to reduce their inventory. When installing the new coil balances for the lower sash, they suggest mounting the 15-150D (with the two S160-4 inside) just below the top tilt latches when the sash is completely closed.

Also, since you have two coil springs on each side of the sash I suggest the heavy duty 15-191 pivot shoe.

Hi Paul,

Greatly appreciate for professional and nice help! I learned now. Going to order 12 coil springs, 6 pivot shoes and 6 COIL DOUBLE SUPPORTS as you and Tom suggested for 3 windows.

But one more question. When do replacements, should I just put coils on top like before in red circle or move down to half way as in green circle?

Thanks again, Paul! Thanks SWISCO!

Kun
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

You want to put them even lower than the green circle, in fact. Take note of the tilt latch at the top of the bottom sash. You want the coils to mount under those latches' lowest position; otherwise, when you open and close the window, the tilt latches will bump into the coil springs and your window won't work properly. That's why manufacturers put them so high to begin with but they've taken the opposite course in recent years.

Thank you so much, Paul! Very helpful! Understood now!

I already placed orders after previous mail to you. Waiting for delivery in June.

Tanks again! Have a nice day!

Kun

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.