Coil Balances

A home owner from Globe, AZ says:
I have double hung vinyl windows. The window to the lower/inside has single coil balances and upper/outside has double coil balances. I'm not sure if this is correct because both sashes weight pretty close to the same. I have 4 of these windows and plan on replacing all of the balances since the plastic has become brittle. Would the S140 quick tilt Double coil work on both sashes?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230414_074232.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230414_074730.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230414_074739.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230414_075603.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230414_080154.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like you have two different pivot shoes in the same window which is a little odd. Our 15-180 and 15-199 look like good matches for what you have here but I don't know which is original to the window. If there is an identical window in the house, we recommend checking it to see what kind of pivot shoe it uses to confirm. 

If you don't have one, you could just stick with the 15-180 or 15-199 if one works better than the other. The 15-180 uses the 1/2" wide Series 190, while the 15-199 is used with the 1/2" wide Series 160 and 3/8" wide Series 165.

We don't recommend using the Series 140. As a policy, we always suggest sticking with the hardware your window was designed to use originally.

Hello Emily,

I want to replace the whole coil balance system, spring and all. Are these the same part numbers I would use to do this? I know the one window had a double coil (Outside window) the other one had a single coil (inside window)
Profile picture of Emily

I'm not sure I understand your question. You have two different pivot shoes in the same window so we really can't say which one is the original. If this setup has been working for you this whole time, you could just stick with this setup but we recommend checking an identical window in the house first. 

Okay. I will check another window to see how it is set up. Once I find this out I want to order the complete sets of coil balances (all plastic parts and coil springs). I live in Arizona and these windows face the sun. All the plastic parts on these coil balances seem to be getting brittle.
I checked the other windows and they have the same coil balances as the original photos I sent. I have included the photos of the window I checked today. As I was moving these windows today they also broke. I would like to purchase complete sets of these coil balances to replace the ones in the 4 double hung windows that I have. Can you give me these part numbers? There were some numbers on the coils, but they were worn and hard to read.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230420_092605.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230420_093610.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230420_093618 (1).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230420_093641.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230420_093714.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

How odd! At this point, the decision is ultimately up to you whether you want to go with the 15-180 or the 15-199 or both. I can help determine the proper coil spring weights but I will need to know the weight of both the top and bottom sash. 

The weights were listed in the first photos I sent. Inside/lower sash 14.5 LBS. and Outside/upper sash 13.5 LBS.
Profile picture of Emily

My apologies! For the bottom sash that uses the 15-199, you can use (1) S160-7 7.5-pound spring on each side of the window if your springs are 1/2" wide. This would total 15 pounds of overall support. For a new single coil support, see the 15-150S.

However, if the springs are 3/8" wide, you can use (1) S165-3 3-pound spring and (1) S165-4 4-pound spring on both sides of the window. With 7 pounds on each side, this will total 14 pounds of overall support. You would also need the 15-204 double spring support. 

For the top sash that uses the 15-180, you can use (1) S190-740 7-pound spring on each side of the window which would total 14 pounds of overall support. You will also need the 15-186 balance clip since you're using one coil spring per side. 

How does the balance clip install?
Profile picture of Emily

The 15-186 installs with a screw like the 15-181 that you have now. 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.