Coils for a 38 lbs. window

A quick learner from New Jersey says:
I need to replace 3 coils because the shoe broke. I also need to replace 3 pivot bars. I don't have part number but the coils appear to be 3 to a set. The window sash weights approximittely 38 pounds. I don't know if I can purchase just the coil that connects to the shoe housing or if I need the entire set. Please advise and let me know the details and cost to purchase the correct material.

Thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0418[1].JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0417[1].JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0419[1].JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

You have an old Simonton balance that isn't made anymore but take a look at the video below where we walk you through the entire replacement process, along with the other parts that you'll need for this repair. 

My Coils are still in working order. The shoes and pivot bars is what failed. Do I need to replace the old shoe with the newer version shoe 15-259 and pivot bar 26-083 or do you carry the shoes in the picture. Can I use the same coils with the newer version shoe? If so can I order them from you?

Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0427[1].JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0426[1].JPG
Profile picture of Emily

I'm afraid your pivot shoe is no longer made so your best option is to covert to the 15-259 as shown in the video above. Our 15-259 is specifically designed to work with the Series 159 springs so I'm afraid you can't re-use your old springs. All orders can be placed directly on our website at your convenience. If you have any questions just let me know! 

Since my window sash weights ~38 pounds does that mean that I will need 3 (S129-12) coils, pivot shoe, pivot bar and cover (complete set) to replace the broken shoe. I just want to confirm the material before I place the order. I really appreciate the quick responses.

Thank you
Profile picture of Emily

Correct, you'll need the 26-083 pivot bar and 15-259 pivot shoe along with the other parts I've related for you on this page. 

It's important to note that a triple coil assembly for your original shoe is uncommon and we only sell single and double coil supports for the S159 coil springs. My apologies for missing that detail! With that said, you'll need the 15-256 double coil support and you can use (1) S159-10 10.5 pound spring and (1) S159-8 8.5 pound spring on both sides of the window. This will total 38 pounds of overall support. I know you originally had a triple coil setup but going with double coils will be fine.

Let me know if this makes sense or if you had any questions!

How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.