Counter balance spring assembly broken

A handy person from Falls Church, VA says:

Issue:

The bottom window sash is very difficult if not impossible to raise. It feels like it's weights 100Lbs.

Problem:

From a Harry Homer Owner prospective: It seems that the counter balance spring assembly on the right side of the lower sash is broken/defective and has slipped to the bottom of the window. I'm unable to determine if the left side counter balance assembly is functional or not. Can anyone help identify the part(s) so I can fix this window. Simonton has not been responsive at all to my warranty requests.

Thank You

Larry

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named brokenwindowcounterbalance.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Label1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named thumbnail.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named windowinside.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Larry. It definitely sounds like your balances are broken and need replacing. One of them may even be jammed in the track, so be careful raising and lowering it. You don't want it to grind in the track and ruin the vinyl.

That aside, you seem to have a fairly typical coil balance assembly. There's a very high chance we have this, but to confirm I will need a clear picture of the pivot shoe, which is obscured in these photos. The pivot shoe acts as a key reference that allows us to figure out everything else. If you can show me that, I can get you your hardware.

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate it! Requested pictures attached.
Thanks Again
Larry
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named goodpivot.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named brokencoiland pivot2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named brokencoilandpivot1.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! I believe this is an older version of our 15-199 pivot shoe. I recommend looking over the pictures and dimensions we show for it to be 100% sure, but let me know if they differ, too. That would be a huge help.

Assuming I'm right, though, then you have a few choices for springs. They would be our Series 160, if your springs are 1/2" thick, and Series 165 if they're only 3/8" thick instead. It also looks like you have a triple spring cover, so those would be either the 15-150T (for the Series 160) or 15-205 (for the Series 165).

I'm personally leaning towards the Series 165 and 15-205 cover, but you should definitely check your size to be sure.

Tom, Thank you for your help identifying the parts for my Simonton window. You are correct in leaning toward the Series 165 and the 15-205 cover. It took me a while to get around to cutting the inner sash and measuring the springs and sure enough they are 3/8". I'll get these parts on order right away. If I have any problems with ordering......I'll be back. "You sure know your window stuff."

Many Thanks
Larry
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.