Fix parents broken window

A quick learner from Toms River, NJ says:
Hi, trying to find the parts to fix my parents window. I am fairly sure the Pivot Shoe is this ( https://www.swisco.com/CertainTeed-Pivot-Shoe/pd/Tilt-Window-Replacement-Pivot-Lock-Shoes/15-192 ) but I don't see the same Sash Pivot Bar anywhere. I also can't get the coils out yet because I didn't have a Jamb Spreader Tool with me (I am over an hour away so this is taking several trips). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4614.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4615.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4691.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4692.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4693.JPG
more photos
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4610.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4611.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4683.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4695.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4696.JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

Your pivot bar appears to be an old Simonton brand which leads me to believe this may be a Simonton brand window. If that's the case, I recommend you use our 15-259 pivot shoe and Series 159 coil springs to replace your original setup. We even have a video that will walk you through the installation process. I will also attach another video below that will show you how to remove your hardware from the track using the cut out method.

You could use the 15-192 but this will likely require shaving down the bumps on the face in order for it to fit in the track. Please note, modified items cannot be returned for a refund. 

Thanks Emily, do you have the pivot bar as well? If so what's that part #? One is bent so need new one. Thanks so much
Profile picture of Emily

Certainly! If you're using the 15-259 shoe, you will need the 26-083 for this conversion. 

Hopefully the last questions I will have as I was finally able to use the jamb spreaders I purchased earlier to get the coil assembly and coils out.

1. No markings on the coils but the window weighs 20.7 lbs, and there are 2 double coils (1 on each side) for a total of 4 coils on the window, which weighted Series 159 Coil Balance Product Code: S159-? do I need as 20.7 divided by 4 is 5.175 so not a perfect match to any coil. I assume I need to replace with a double coil or is it possible to convert to a single coil?

2. Depending on the answers above, the old coil assembly is a double coil, has a white plastic circular holding the metal coil and that center of that plastic goes into a slot that holds the screw into the window. Will a new Series 159 Coil Balance Product Code: S159-? work with the assembly that we already have or will we need a new double assembly? If we need a new double assembly, is 3/4" Coil Double Support Product Code: 15-256 the one? It looks like there is only one screw slot/hole in that one though which concerns me, if not which one is it? OR can I convert to a single coil? and if so 3/4" Coil Single Support Product Code: 15-255.

Current assembly pics attached and measuerments are: The distance between the 2 screws in my current balance assembly is 1-1/2" apart, the width is 1-1/4", depth is 13/16", length is 3-1/16".

Thanks so much!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4856.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4857.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4858.JPG
Profile picture of Emily

You can either stick with the original double coil setup or you can switch to a single support; the decision is ultimately yours! If you decide to go with two coils on each side of the window, you can use (1) S159-5 5.5-pound spring and (1) S159-4 4.5-pound spring on both sides of the window. This would total 10 pounds of support on each side for a 20-pound sash. 

If you end up going with a single coil on each side, you can use (1) S159-10 10.5-pound spring on each side of the window which would total 21 pounds of overall support. As long as the coil weights are within a pound of your sash's actual weight, either setup should be fine. Your old support isn't compatible with the Series 159 springs so you would need a new one. See the 15-256 for a double coil support and the 15-255 for a single coil support. 

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help! 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.