Looking for single hung window parts

A quick learner from Canada says:
Hi, the coil balance of our hung window is broken. Which parts do I need to replace it? Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3E4CDC2E-25BD-4E58-8846-85377CEDE3AB.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8CDBC5EE-B089-4605-841C-3039B6DACBD7.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! Looks like you have a coil balance system using our 15-140 pivot shoe, 15-143 coil bushing, and 15-144 coil bushing cap. The coil spring will be our Series 150. You'll need the number off the coil spring to decide the best Series 150 option. Look these parts over and let me know what you think, or if you have any questions.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm happy to know how to cut the window frame. Two more questions please. Can I use S140? If I cannot find the number on the coil spring, can I just chose the biggest number? That's 8 for S150 and 10 for S140. Thank you.

Another question. How to mount S150 on 15-140 pivot shoe? Thank you.

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. To see how to make a cutout if needed, watch the video below. I'm afraid I can't recommend the Series 140 instead; this question is often asked, understandably so since it comes as a fixed assembly, which is a lot easier to deal with. But sadly the dimensions are different enough from the 15-140 Pivot Shoe that I can't confidently recommend it to you. 

If you can't find the numbers on the coil springs, you will need to weigh your window sash. Let us know what that precise weight is, and we'll work out what you need. 

Finally, to mount the S150 on the 15-140, you need to slide the tongue of the S150 into one of the grooves atop the 15-140 shoe, so that the blunted end of the coil spring catches under the groove. You can then stack the amount of coil springs you need on each side of your sash using the 15-143 Bushing and the 15-144 Bushing Cap.

We have three size of windows. The sash weights are 17.2lb, 16.5lb and 12.8lb. Can I use coil springs with number bigger than the sash weight? Would that extend the service time of the spring? And I really want to try s140 because it looks much easier to handle with. Thank you!
Or can I use s152 with 15-177/15-175?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I agree with Bob, the Series 140 probably won't work for you since it's a different size. It simply won't fit in the track. You could certainly try it if you wish, but I'm not optimistic.

The rule of thumb for these windows is to stick with what you have. Trying out different hardware can lead to all kinds of unforseen problems. Balances are pretty delicate systems and you don't want to experiment too much. 

For this reason, you don't want to exceed your sash weights when determining how strong your springs should be. Think of it like Goldilocks porridge: not too strong, not too weak. If it's too weak, the window will drift close when you open it. If it's too strong, the window will drift up when you close it. You want it to be just right; or near enough, anyway, since your sash weights have some spill-over in ounces.

I know other balance systems look like they're easier to deal with but I highly recommend sticking with what you have now. Speaking from personal experience, it will save you future headaches.

Profile picture of Tom

My pleasure! That all looks good to me, but if you run into any issues then please let me know. We're here to help as best as we can. I know it's a bit of a pain, but that's the curse with coil balances. I had them in my old apartment for a long time and had this same deliberation. Sometimes we're at the mercy of the window manufacturer.

Thank you so much for your explaining. I understand what you mean. I just don't like the style of 15-140, because it's difficult to take out and put in the window sash. So what you recommend according to my sash weights. Can I use s152 with 15-177/15-175 since the supporting shoe is easier to use and it has 9 lb option. Thank you!
So let's confirm what I need: S152, 15-177, 15-143 and 15-144? Is that right? Anything else?

And which # of S152 should I choose for the 17.2lb, 16.5lb and 12.8lb window sash separately?

Thank you?
Profile picture of Tom

Yep, you will also need a 15-145 bushing to help keep the Series 152 stable between the 15-154 and 15-144 covers.

I just want to stress that this 15-177 shoe setup isn't meant to go in your window. It may still work, since it's only 1/32" thicker than the original 15-140, but there is still a chance you'll run into issues. Let me know if you do and we can do our best to help.

As for the coil springs, what you want to do is divide the weight of the sash between how many coils are used to support it. So assuming you only want to use one spring on each side, you can use:

• S152-9 for the 17.2 pound sash (two 9 pound springs adding up to 18 pounds of support),
  • S152-8 for the 16.5 pound sash (two 8  pound springs adding to 16 pounds)
  • S152-6 for the 12.8 pound sash (two 6 pound springs adding to 12 pounds)

I don't think the half pound or so difference between your sash weights and the support they'll be getting will make that much of a difference.

Thank you for your help! I will try to fix the window and give you feedback.
Profile picture of Tom

Sounds good! Thank you so much for placing an order with us, it means a lot. I would very much like to know how it works out, and if you have any questions or run into any issues please let us know. We will do our best to help.

A quick learner says:
Hi, how can I track my package?
Profile picture of Tom

You should have received a tracking number via email after you placed your order. If you didn't, I would check your spam filter just in case that particular email was flagged.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.