Replacing Caldwell Channel Balances for my Window

A quick learner from Encino, California says:
I have two caldwell window channel balance I need to replace. One is stamped 17 4 GR Caldwell. The other one is stamped 32 4 HR Caldwell. Both are 1/2" size. Please tell me which one to buy. Thanks

Existing channel balances:
17 4 GR Caldwell
32 4 HR Caldwell

both are 1/2" wide and 9/16" deep
User photo of their Caldwell channel balances.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. I'm confident we can help, but to clarify, the stamped codes actually do not designate the identity of the balances you need. Instead they merely tell us the strength or calibration of the balance in question. The actual identity of the balance, or what we call the Series, is determined by the nylon fittings attached at either end of the metal channel. Based on your photos you appear to have either our Series 380 or Series 385 Channel Balance. Both of these balances feature the 19-005 Top Winged Fitting, but use slightly different winged bottom fittings, or shoes. The Series 380 uses our 15-005, which has a depth, or 'heel-to-toe' measurement, of 1". The Series 385 uses the 15-004, which has a depth of 1-3/32". The picture below illustrates the difference. Since you clearly have a winged shoe, compare to the options depicted on the left. Let me know if your balances' shoes by some chance have a depth that does not match either option. 

Diagram on how to choose between the 15-001, 15-002, 15-004, and 15-005 channel balance shoes.
Diagram on how to choose between the 15-001, 15-002, 15-004, and 15-005 channel balance shoes.

Assuming you have either the Series 380 or Series 385, you'll then need to settle on the right length. This is determined by the length of the metal channel, not including the fittings at either end. Finally, you'll also need to select the right stamp options for the replacements. With all this information in mind, and going off your photos, I believe you need either the S380-18 or S385-18, with a stamp option of 1740, as well as either the S380-33 or S385-33, with a stamp option of 3240. Let me know if you have any further questions about any of this! 

A quick learner from Bonita Springs, Florida says:
I have a balance I need replaced.
It has 28 3 EN CALDWELL on it.
I saw your answer to Encino (above) and your answer makes no sense.
Do you have a replacement for Caldwell?

Thanks
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I'm sorry for the confusion. The first and most important thing we need to help you identify what balances you need is the Series. This is determined by the plastic attachments you have on either end of the channel. The stamp indicates only its weight capacity, and the manufacturer is, in many cases, arbitrary. They do not tell us the configuration needed.

To get started, please take a look at our Replacement Sash Support Channel Balances section on our site. You may also want to take a look at our tutorial video on how to best identify your channel balance.
A home owner from Colorado Springs says:
Greetings from Colorado Springs, CO.

I was looking at your web site and came across the pic's from the "quick learner from Encino".

Looking at the pics, I have the exact Caldwell Channel Balances. The ends are identical but the length of the "metal" channel is 21" long. I have 4 of them that I would like to replace. However, on two of them it says "Caldwell 20 5 CQ" and on the other two it says Caldwell 20 2 DQ". Im not sure but it seems like the thickness of the springs are different and definiately weigh differently.

These channel balances come out of identical windows that are side by side. QUESTION??? Why the different sizes of springs? The windows are double glass, plastic framed, and the "window or glass" is 36" wide.

So, What replacements do I need?

Respectfully, Roger
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Roger. I'm not sure why your window has two different sized springs, actually. If they look just like the balances the original poster photographed, then they absolutely should be identical. Have these windows functioned smoothly prior to the current balances failing? 

If you can confirm that you have either the Series 380 or Series 385, then check out either the S380-21 or S385-21. To know which of these two balances might work for you, you'll need to measure the shoe depth, or the 'heel-to-toe' measurement. If it's 1", use the S380-21. If it is 1-3/32", you'll need the S385-21

Once you determine the right balance, you'll need to choose a stamp option. While your old balance was stamped 20-2, the fact they are not identical on both sides of the sash makes me think we should be extra thorough on this step. I advise that you obtain the exact weight of the window sash. You'll note on the balance shop page there is  a list of all the stamp options options and how much weight each option can support. I recommend that you get that exact weight of your window sash, then match that weight to the weight range it falls under. Assuming the sash weight falls within our listed ranges, use replacement balances on both sides of the sash with the exact same length and stamp option. If your weight is different from anything we have listed, let me know and we can try to work it out for you.

A home owner from Colorado Springs, CO says:
Thanks Paul for your response to my email. I have established that I indeed have the S385-21 Channel Balances. I weighed my 2 sashes and interestingly they were 22.5 lbs and 23 lbs. Looking at the breakdown for the "options" 2040 is rated from 15-23lbs and the 2050 is rated from 23-27 lbs. So, the question is" Which ones do I need? So again, which option do you suggest, 2040 or 2050?

I will need four for the two windows. I'll be waiting for your response so I can get them ordered.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I advise you go with the 2040. In this instance I think the 2050 may prove too strong for your window sashes. Let us know if you have further questions. 

A contractor from california says:
your two windows may look identical, but if one was installed next to a door, building code would have required it to have tempered glass. Tempered glass is heavier and wiuld have warranted a stronger spring.
A quick learner from San Diego says:
Thank you "Contractor from California" You saved me effort and expense by pointing out that windows adjacent to doors are tempered, heavier and require a different channel balancer to offset the weight! Sure enough, we need one type of balancer for most of our windows and a stronger one for our window next to the patio door once we checked the model numbers on the old balancers. THANKS!!!!
A home owner from Copperopolis, CA. 95228 says:

I have a 30" Caldwell Series 300 5/8" channel Block & tackle window.

I need 2 for one window.

Tip # 15 oo4

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC00775.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC00772.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC00776.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. Based on these photos, and knowing that you have the 15-004 bottom fitting, then my recommendation would be the S385-30. If you haven't already, you should look this balance over and see what you think.

A home owner from Seattle WA says:

Without plastic ends 20" long

Stamp 19-4 EN Caldwell

Need total of 4 units

Thanks,

Jason

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230908_080203446.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230908_075435480_HDR.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230908_075506831.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230908_075547108.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230908_075859943_HDR.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for your photos. Based on what I see here, you have either our S380-20 or S385-20, depending on the depth of the bottom shoe. That's the only difference between them. I recommend measuring your shoe and referring to our dimensions to confirm the best match.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

How to identify a replacement channel balance
How to identify a replacement channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.