Simonton window coil balancer

A handy person from Ohio says:
Hi I need the balance assembly including the shoe for a simonton single hung vinyl window. Window is roughly 15- 20 years old.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CB5BD97C-5831-4D65-B9F3-42DE0C689EC1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 45C47054-4312-4B52-B5C5-8A68F89A717F.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4471F239-233D-4649-BDAD-E487909538E8.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We should be able to help, but the pivot shoe in question is obscured in your photos. In order to make a recommendation I will need you to remove the shoe in question from the window so that we can get a good look at it.

Can you also confirm the thickness of the springs while they're out? I think they'll be 3/8" but I don't know that for sure and would like to be more certain.

ok i will do i will have to go back out to the house to get the information. I will try to do so next week.
here are the photo you asked for. steel ribbon has 3 coils. It is 3/8 wide. I also have another picture I can send off the window. It is id tag.
thanks Brian
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named simonton ribbon detail.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named simonton shoe picture.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named simonton shoe view.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Simonton shoe.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Perfect, thank you, Brian! This is exactly what I needed.

My recommendations will be the 15-199 pivot shoe, Series 165 coil spring, and the15-205 triple spring cover. There should be a stamp on the old coil that will allow you to pick the proper weight option. Otherwise, I'm very confident that these parts are exactly what you want.

I would have to go back to the house if you need that number. Not a big deal just let me know if you think that would be necessary. I will be ordering these no matter what. Can you let me know how to purchase these?
Profile picture of Tom

Unfortunately getting that stamp number is necessary. Note too that there's a chance there won't be a clear stamp on the spring. If that's the case, or you are uncertain, it's best to weigh the window sash the balances support. Placing it on a bathroom scale will suffice. Give me that exact weight, and I can work out the spring weights you need. 

All orders can be placed right through our website. When you find a part you want, simply click "Add to Cart," and then click "Checkout" at the top right hand corner of the screen. Don't forget to set the quantity you want for each item!

stamp= pat523320 #435 sash measures 24.5 lbs.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us. If the window sash weighs 24.5 pounds, I advise you use four S165-6 6 pound springs, two for each side of the window. That would give each side of the window 12 pounds of support, for an overall total of 24 pounds--being within 1 pound suffices. You can use the 15-204 Double Supports for both sides. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Window currently has the triple coil. Will double work in its place? Do you have a video for the double coil installation?
Profile picture of Tom

Your original coils were probably individually weaker springs than the S165-6 6 pound springs, which is why three were needed per side. The actual number of springs per side is not as important as covering the overall sash weight, and having symmetrical support on both sides of the sash. So using these springs as a replacement should work fine for a 24.5 pound window. As far as installation goes, see the video below that covers triple coil installations. Installing double assemblies will be very similar, if not a bit easier since there's less you need maneuver. Take a look and see what you think. 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.