Unsure of Series 170 & 171 Coil Balance stamp number for replacement

A quick learner from Milford, Michigan says:

Hello,

As you can see in the last picture of my double hung window coil balance, the pivot lock shoe has retracted back to the coil balance and even when turning the metal cam to slide the shoe down the track it retracts right back up. 

I originally began this project with the thought that I only had to replace the previously broken pivot shoe on each side, which I did using 15-192 and substituting my old metal cam since it had a larger slot compared to the 15-192 metal cam with a smaller slot however I then realized that the shoe still won't release tension and stay slid down if I manually push it down. I was thinking I may need to replace the coil balance part and I've searched on the site for replacement pieces and other FAQs and it seems I need both a Series 170 and 171 along with the related cover and drum. 

I was going to purchase these items but I cannot determine what stamp number is on my current (original) coil balance as I do not see any markings when I take it apart and try to unroll the coil. Given that the Series 171 only has 405/406/407 I'm guessing the 170 will also be one of these numbers but I'm unsure of the differences. Are you able to determine which stamp number I should be required to purchase?Thank you for the help.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5616.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5615.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5614.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5609.jpg
I also weighed the window and it came in at 22 lbs if that helps.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm glad you weighed your sash; that makes this very simple. The rule of thumb for coil balances is to divide the sash weight by the number of springs that support it and then pick accordingly. In your case, 22 divided by 4 ends up being 5.5.

Now, here's where it gets a little tricky. There is no Series 170 or Series 171 spring that can hold 5.5 pounds, so we have to get creative. What you can do is use one 5 pound spring and one 6 pound spring on each side, which adds up to a total of 22 pounds of support.

So my official recommendation would be the S170-405 (5 pounds each) and S171-406 (6 pounds each). As long as both sides are identical then you should be good to go!

Please also note that the front bumps on the 15-192 may need to be shaved down for this shoe to slide comfortably in the track. Your window is the old Simonton brand and I've been told that the bumps on the 15-192 get in the way of operation. You'd have to snip them off or grind them down.

Great, thanks for the help Tom!

For the 15-192 pieces I did already shave off the bumps based on some other research on the site here so I at least have that part taken care of. Appreciate the quick response, I will order those coil balances and see if they work out for me.
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, glad to hear it! Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

Update if anyone else is having a similar issue.

I scrapped using the old type of coil balance (shoe 15-192 and coils S170/171) as I could not get the shoe to keep tension and stay down the track even with all brand new parts. Instead I referenced the related video tutorial from the site https://www.swisco.com/videos/view208

I purchased what is considered the modern parts based on the video. Those parts included a new shoe (15-259), new coil balance (S159) and balance support cover (15-256) and additionally a new pivot bar for the bottom of the window (26-083). Installing all of these did in fact result in my pivot shoe retaining tension and staying in place when pulled up and down the window track ultimately allowing me to re-insert my window and get it working like new!
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for letting us know how the repair worked out for you. We'll be sure to share your update with other customers replacing the same hardware. 

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.