unknown name, numbers or makings of existing hardware

A home owner from Maryland says:
Hi there, I am trying to find replacement for my window coil balance. They are all broken and the windows do not stay open now. Very grateful if you could help me find the matching parts to replace them. From your website, it looks like the S140-13 could be a good match. Would it be possible that i order them to give it a try and return them if i find them don't work later?

Many thanks,
Jason
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window5.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window6.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window2.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Jason. I don't think the Series 140 will work for you. Instead, see our 15-180 pivot shoe, Series 190 spring, 15-182 bushing, and 15-181 double spring clip. These parts should work perfectly well for your window.

Thanks so much, Tom. That is very helpful and much appreciated. I am glad you company has those parts on your website. Looking at my window coil balance, it looks like almost every part is broken and needs to be replaced except the bushing. I have never done this before. Is there a video or instructions that shows how to assemble those parts together? do you have a complete list of all the parts that I need for one side of the window? How many springs do i need for one side of the window? two or three? The Series 190 spring comes with different model numbers, from 440 to 940, which one should i choose? my window weighs about 20 pounds. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Jason
Profile picture of Tom

We don't have a video on these specific parts, unfortunately, but we do have a cover-all balance video that may be of help to you. I will share it at the end of this post.

Concerning how many springs you need, your specific type of balance can only accommodate two springs. It's not physically possible to use any more than that. It may look like you have three springs now, but I think that's just because one of your coils became unwound. You should triple check to be 100% sure. I suppose it's possible that whoever installed these used three springs instead of two, but if that were the case then that means whoever did the job made a mistake. You need to be 100% sure.

There should be numbers printed on your old spring that will tell you which option to buy. You need to remove the old springs to read that stamp.

Thanks so much, Tom! You are right. I just checked the springs, it has two springs but it seems it has two different numbers: the top one clearly marks 5, but the lower one looks like a 6 (see the picture). So which ones should I buy? The window is about 20 pounds.

Can you please also send me the video link?

Best,
Jason
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window coil springs.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Hi, Jason! One spring being 5 and the other being a 6 is pretty normal. That means one supports 5 pounds and the other supports 6 pounds, for a total of 22 pounds of support when you account for all four springs.

You said before that your sash was only 20 pounds, but you may want to double check just to be 100% sure. If you want to stick with what you have now, you can use the S190-640 (6 pounds) and S190-540 (5 pounds). If you want to change to 20 pounds of support instead of 22, then you can just use four S190-540 springs.

Also, I totally forgot to post that video I mentioned. Sorry about that! I'll share it now.

Thanks Tom. That is super helpful. I just double checked, you are right -- it is 22 pounds. So i will stick with what i have with 640 and 540 then.

Best,
Jason
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, sounds good to me! Let me know if you had any other questions, we're always here to help.

Hi Tom, I just received my order of all the parts. But unfortunately I just found out that the Coil Balance Shoe is too big or thick for my window, doesn't fit and slide inside the frame. Do you have smaller or thinner size? maybe I have one of these old models. If you dont't have them. do you happen to know any other stores may carry smaller ones?

Best,
Jason
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Jason. I'm surprised to hear that. I've never heard of a skinny version of the 15-180. Even the older styles, which looked a little different, were all the same size. Up until now, this is the only size I've seen made in this design.

Can you confirm the exact size of your old pivot shoe? Seeing a photo of the old and new shoe side-by-side would also be a big help.

Thanks Tom. I don't know the exact size, but here are the photos -- looks like slightly thicker making it not fit or slide.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window shoe2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window shoe1.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you. This is definitely a new one to me. Can you give me the precise thickness of your original shoe?

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.