Bedroom window trouble

A quick learner from Colorado Springs, CO (bedroom window) says:
Had a window in bedroom fogging up and had glass company change out the glass. After the glass was changed the window would not stay up. The Techs said the balances looked good, but thought balance was getting weak or the new glass installed was heaver than the original. Could not find any marking on the window to identify the manufacture/model.

Info:
Weight of window is 26.5 lbs
throw (up/down) of window 25.5"
dual coils in balance each marked 540. coils are attached one on each side of the pivot shoe.
balance: 3"(H) x 1-1/4" (W) X 1/2" (D)
Pivot bar (U channel) same dia as your 26-089 or 26-040
Pivot shoe same diam as your 15-046 (1-1/4"(w) X 1/2" (D)

Let me know what you recommend to keep the window from closing.

Thank & waiting your response
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN3221.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN3222.JPG
A quick learner from Colorado Springs, CO (bedroom window) says:
I have a second window in the room with the same dia and make. Removed the sash (glass original) and weighted it, 7 lb lighter then the window with replacement glass. Swapped sashes between windows and problem moved.

Suspect the coils (540) in the balances are not strong enough to hold up the sash with the replacement glass. Do you have replacement coils I can use in the existing balances that will hold up a 26.5 lb sash.

Thanks & waiting your response
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You don't have a 15-046 pivot shoe, you have the 15-180. This is designed specifically to work with the Series 190 spring, so that's what you want to look into. 

I can see the problem right away; your current springs are only rated for 5 pounds of support each. With two on each side, that's only 20 pounds of support. Like my gut on Christmas, your window appears to have gained 6.5 pounds. That's not a big deal, though, we can easily compensate for that with a new combination of springs.

I think a better combination now would be to use one 7 pound spring and one 6 pound spring per side. That will give you 13 pounds of support on each side, for a total of 26 pounds. That should be fine, you won't miss that last half a pound.

With that in mind, I recommend an S190-740 and S190-640 coil spring. You can reuse your old shoe and clips, they should be totally compatible.

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.