Double Hung Window Balance?

A handy person from Poughquag, NY says:
Hello. I'm selling my second home and these units seem to be damaged by my previous tenant. Can you identify part? If you need measurement let me know. Thank you.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Looks like you need to replace your Coil Balance system. We can help you do this, but I'm going to need a little more information to be able to help. Could you show us a picture of the Pivot Shoe that the coil springs attach to? Preferably, could you show the shoe removed from the window and tell us its width and thickness? See the video below if you need help getting the pivot shoe & coil springs out of your window.

A quick learner from Poughquag, NY says:
THANK YOU! I want to give a shout out to everyone who helped this week get parts I need in hurry for house closing. It was 2 overnight orders with the second one almost missing shipping deadline. I have put the windows back together and I have learned a lot.

If you have double coil balance it's a nightmare. The assembly is not sold as one piece. You need to know the weight of the window, so you have take it out and put yourself on the scale and then pick up the window. You need to do this only if you can't read the number on the coil and need to replace them which I did. Then the cover on over the coil serves as not only a dust cover but allowing the latch to ride over as you close the window. Then there are the pivot shoes which I did not need to replace, put mine hat a slit on either side to allow for right/left install. Last but not least, there are the latches which have different part number for left and right.

On the coil I ordered 2 Series 164 coil balance, 5 lbs, I really should of ordered a 5 lb and 3 lb for each side but it worked. I weighed the window after I ordered and it was 16 pounds not 20 pounds.

I think I need sash/balance limiters but that's for another day. If anyone needs pics or help with this unique assembly post here and I'll add them.

Here's the list of parts I used;

3/8" Coil Dual Support
15-204

Tilt Window Latch, Left Hand
26-419
option: white

Tilt Window Latch, Right Hand
26-420
option: white

5 lb Series 165 Egress Coil Balance
S165-5

Hi. I did not need to replace the pivot shoes but would like to get the part number to give my buyer. Here are pictures.

Also, there weren't any sash/balance limiters on any of these window which I suspect might of been part of the reason why the coil supports/covers were all broken from the pivot shoe snapping against them. Can you let me what you recommend to put those stops at the top of the track to prevent the shoe to pass through the track cutout. I do not have pics as they were either missing or not installed in the first place.

Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named length of pivot shoe.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named shoe that the coills loop into.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named shoe width.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named top of pivot shoe.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Hello there, and thanks for the update on your progress. Glad it's been a success so far. I agree, getting these Coil Balance systems set up can be tricky, especially when you're dealing with multiple-spring systems. For your pivot shoe, take a look at our 15-199. I believe this could be what you're looking for. As far as a a sash limiter, I'm honestly not certain. Could you clarify what you mean about the 'pivot shoe snapping against' the coil supports and springs? In general, this shouldn't happen during window operation. Many thanks.

Profile picture of Bob

Ah, now I understand, thanks. You see, cutouts are normally at the very top of the frame to avoid this issue; it should be impossible to slide the sash that far up where it would risk the Coil Balances or Pivot Shoe from falling out. If someone put the cutout in the middle of the frame, then it was a mistake to do so. I'm honestly not sure what the best solution would be, but I'm going to pass this discussion off to one of my senior colleagues who might have an answer. We'll get back to you as soon as we can!

Thanks 15-199 looks to be correct pivot shoe.

On the sash limiter..if you push the window all the way open the shoe slids past the cut out on the track risking the possibility that it will pop out out of the track. And in my case sometimes it sticks on the opening when pushing the window down. The sash limiting prevents the window from opening to that point.
Ok. I know there is a solution because St my other house there are limiters St the top that simply snap in the track. I tried that one and the clips on the back are too narrow. Please let me know if you can figure this out. Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hello, hopefully I can help. We carry the 15-148 bumper, which clips onto the 15-204 coil support just below the screw hole. See if this would solve your problem.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.