Replacement Coil Balance Assistance

A handy person from Broken Arrow, OK says:
I need to determine the size of springs I need for these windows. The original springs are 3/8 inch wide, but I could not find any markings of the weight for each spring. The windows are 33 3/8 x 29 inches. The plastic cover is for 3 springs, but there are only 2 springs in each one. How do you determine the right spring to use?

Thanks,
Steve
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210623_221205.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210623_221152.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210623_221136_Bokeh.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210623_221059.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Steve. This appears to be our 15-199 Pivot Shoe. If the coil springs are 3/8" thick, then you need the Series 165 Coil Balances. As far as the housing goes, whoever installed the windows may have simply used the parts they had available; if there's only two springs per side, you could use the 15-204 double support instead of the triple support (our 15-205); however, if the old housing is undamaged you can certainly are fine re-using it. 

Finally, if there are no stamps on the springs, the only way to know what spring weights you need is to weigh the window sash. Give me the exact weight and I can work out what you need. 

A handy person from Broken Arrow, OK says:
Bob,

Thanks for the info. I'm finally getting back to you with the weight of the window.

I could not find any markings on the springs. They are 3/8" thick. The window weighs close to 20 lbs. There are 2 springs on each side.

Thanks,
Steve
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks! In that case, you want to use our S165-5. These hold 5 pounds each, so if you have two springs per side that will add up to a very comfortable 20 pounds of total support. That should be perfect for your window.

Let me know if you had any other questions!

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.