Wrong parts

A landlord from Illinois says:

Hello, we had an issue with our window and it was stuff in an open position. I ordered parts S140-21 from you to replace. They did not work correctly. The lock tab on the window now wouldnt open with the new part so that is damaged now too. Can you tell by the pictures what is needed?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5577.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5578.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6102.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6101.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Based on your photos, the S140-21 that you ordered appears to be our best match. That should have worked. Can you go into more detail as to precisely why it didn't?

the new parts didn't work and cause a bit more damage to the window pin locks. 2 things....1) It's because the thickness of the new part is bigger than the old part. 2) The top of the new part doesn't have the curve to push the pin locks back when the window goes down which cause the pin lock to break.
Above it the email from my tenant. The 2 locks on both edges of the window are now getting stuck when they hit the new piece. The original plastic had a curve and the lock would ride up it now it will not. The lock must have broke now. Does this help
Profile picture of Tom

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. Since the major difference is a matter of size, we'll need the exact size of the old hardware. If possible, please remove one of the original balance assemblies from the window and show me a clear picture of it by itself. Seeing it side-by-side with the S140-21 that you purchased would also help. Please also tell me its precise width and thickness.

We can start there and see if we can find something that will fit in the window track more smoothly.

Hope this helpe. I dont think it the size that is the issue. The old piece was curved so the lock would move up it smoothly. The new piece does not have any kind of curve so the lock wont let the window go any further up
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6346.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6349.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6348.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6347.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6351.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, okay. I understand the problem now. I thought the balance in your first batch of photos was the original. Your original balance is actually an entirely different style, so that would explain why you ran into issues.

I recommend looking at our 15-199 pivot shoe, as well as either the 3/8" thick Series 165 or 1/2" thick Series 160. We also sell the 15-205 cover for 3/8" springs 15-150T cover for 1/2" springs. You will need to measure the thickness of your old springs to confirm what size you need.

Ok I will measure that. Do you carry these lock parts that are now broken. I will need that also
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6350.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6351.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6352.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, that looks like a tilt latch. See our 26-243 and 26-244, I think these may be just what you're looking for.

Sorry last question. I will order the 3/8 triple coil egress support and pivot shoe. The springs are 3/8 but I'm not sure which to order since our originals said 21
Profile picture of Tom

Tell us the exact weight of the window sash. Give us that exact weight, and we can work out what you need. 

Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! So, that's a bit of a weird weight. If you're using the 3/8" thick spring, then the sash weight should be an even number. You may want to double check.

The rule of thumb is to basically divide the sash weight by how many springs are used to support it; in your case, 6. What we're doing here, for instance, is dividing 21 by 6, which gives us 3.5. 

Our S160-3 gives 3.5 pounds of support per spring, which would be perfect for you if it weren't for the fact that it was 1/2" thick instead of 3/8". That's obviously no good. If we're working with the Series 165, then the next best thing would be to use two 4 pound springs and one 3 pound spring on each side. That gives you 11 pounds of support per side, or 22 pounds total. Does that make sense?

If you want to go that route, then use two S165-4 and one S165-3 balances per side.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.