broken window coil assemblies

A contractor from GA says:
Hey, can you identify these parts? I have 3 windows where they are broken. Also, on a few windows the pivot bars have rusted out and need replacing. The pivot bars that are rusted out and need replacing would also go into whatever new balance system was used. However, there are a few rusted pivot bars on various windows I'd like to change, but on those particular windows the balance system is ok.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0207201039.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0207201039a.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0207201623.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi there! We can definitely help. The best way to identify a coil balance system is to go by the pivot shoe, which acts as a kind of key that lets us know what everything else is.

Your pivot shoe looks like our 15-199, which is compatible with our Series 160 coil spring. Note that this spring is 1/2" thick. You'll also need the stamp printed on the old one to confirm the best option. You should be able to reuse your old cover and shoe, assuming they aren't too damaged. They still seem to be in working condition to me but it can't hurt to double check.

As for the pivot bar, look at our 26-040. This looks similar to me, but again see what you think.

Let me know if you have any questions!

One of the covers has broke. Apparently, the only way to remove the coils (and cover) is for me to make a notch in window to remove it. I see no other way. Do you have a solution for a cover? I would need at least one. The other two i think i can salvage when removing them...now that I see that I need to notch window to remove them. The coils system is a double coil.
Also...I pulled the coils out. They appear to be 3/8 thick and the stamp on them says 5.0
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! I'm glad you were able to get them out to confirm. So, since they're 3/8" thick, I recommend our Series 165 instead. This is the same as the Series 160 but thinner. Based on your stamp, I'd specifically recommend the S160-5.

As for the cover, see our 15-205. This is a triple support cover for the S160-5 and I believe will work well in your window.

Finally, concerning the cutout in the window, you may find the video below to be helpful.

hey, thanks for info, but my windows have dual coils. Wouldnt i need the cover for two coils, and not the triple?
Profile picture of Tom

My apologies! If you just need two coils on each side of the sash, then yes, the 15-204 Dual Support would be the better choice. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Well its interesting that you mentioned the triple. I noticed it's length is 4 1/4", whereas the double is 3 1/2". All of the shields on my windows are 4 1/4". Unless you remove one, you can't see how many coils are behind it. I've only removed the one, and I could have sworn it only had two coils. Is it possible the windows would have the 4 1/4" shields (triple version), but have just two coils?
Here's a pic of the shattered cover. Don't have all the pieces, but it does look like what you called the "triple". The name of it is what is confusing me. The triple is apparently made for two coils.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0212201751.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. The reason I recommended the triple cover was because yours looked pretty long; I figured it was too long to be a double. But if you only have two springs on each side, then that's that. You want a double support, not triple. What might have happened is whoever installed these originally only had triple covers on hand and installed them for lack of anything better. It happens all the time.

Another way to confirm this is to go by sash weight. If you have two 5 pound springs on each side, then the sash should weigh 20 pounds (5 x 4 = 20). That will decide for you once and for all how many you need.

is there a video that shows a double being loaded with two coils?
Profile picture of Tom

As a matter of fact, our video team has been in the process of filming just such a tutorial video. They're nearing completion and expect to have it done sometime next week! You can keep an eye out for it on our YouTube channel here, or you can drop us a line and I can link it to you directly.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.